How Sookie Sookie La La came to be
So it's 4 o'clock in the morning... have been tossing and turning for the past hour or so... the same old scene for the past 3 or 4 nights... except this time i've decided to be productive and act upon what I've been lying awake and thinking of... "why not start an anonymous blog - one where you can rant and rave about everything and anything without any guilt or fear of any repercussions because people/events can be changed to protect the innocent/innocent, so on and so forth?". Good thinking 99... let's see how long this thing can remain anonymous for... especially since your forte being name dropping / bagging and all.This is not my first foray into blogging - i've had a blogger site which I maintainted for all of... let's see, a bit under 1 year... then i moved to the Multiply site in an attempt to amalgamate photo albums, contacts, blog etc.... it ended up kinda freaking me out because you can actually view who is reading whatever shit you post.... duh i know, but me no likey... especially on those occassions where I really felt an urge to have a sook or bitch about somebody, and that person happened to be on my 'contacts' list.
So why not revive the original blogger site you ask? Well my captivated audience, I am taking a leaf out of someone's book and creating a new blog site because I felt the page needed a new look, and it would have been a pain in the ass to fix up the template seeing that it had been changed god knows how many times... vital html coding stuffed up somewhere along the way or hacked to pieces...
PLUS... the old site represented, you could say, a different stage in my life... and this site is all about starting over. Am thinking about posting anonymously because I have lots of issues that I need to get on paper (on the web as it may be), occurences that have had an impact on my life or perhaps just thought processes I want to jot down... basically just to have a chronicle of the different stages of my life... an online journal where I can look back on past posts and reflect, laugh, cry... yadda yadda yadda, you get the message.
So here's a little clue as to how this blog got its name (and oops, i guess my identity... duh) just to kickstart the show:
I've never been proud of my Chinese name, the legal name bestowed to me at birth, which is a bit of a shame. I remember at the age of 7 at my first ballet class, I gave myself a Christian name (one of the characters on an American mini series showing on telly at the time) as the caucasian ballet teacher taking the class had absolutely no clue how to pronounce my Chinese name, and so the preferred name lingered around for a few years, albeit used more on a whimsical than permanent basis. The neighbourhood kids I grew up with shortened my Chinese name to 'Sookie'.... which is kinda ironic seeing that I was also famous for being a big time cry baby and for my dramatic dummy spats... hey, I was a complex kid. Of course the connotation did not become apparent until my emigration from Malaysia to Melbourne at the age of 10, and subsequent exposure to Aussie slang... My preferred English name henceforth was used on a permanent basis as it would have been unfortunate if word got round on the Australian primary school playground of my Chinese name (as discovered at the 1st primary school i attended)....
"Sook? You're a soooooook... sookie sookie la la... you gonna cry now? haha..." (coz you're on welfare... and your mama's an alcoholic)
"Ching? Haha.... Ching Chong, Ching Chong.... *makes slitty eyes*.... go back to where you came from"....
Ahhh... racism through the eyes of a 10 year old.... and then I was awarded 'Aussie of the Month'! For what? Being a good sport?!
So much irony in this world.
